Sunday, April 3, 2011

Now I understand why the Haitian people spend the day outside of their homes. When there is no power it is hotter than hot inside! I spent the afternoon laying outside in the shade of the deck where there was a lovely breeze. I read and napped and it was wonderful. Still hot, but better than inside.

This morning we went to church with Santo and Marie. Now that was a Haitian experience! The pastor sometimes translates for us, so he is familiar with those of us at MamaBaby Haiti who come to visit. He invited us to come up and speak and Susan did. She thanked everyone for welcoming us and told them about the clinic.

The music was wonderful and loud. They dedicated a couple of songs to us, and I got them on video. A beautiful baby girl was dedicated. I have the sweetest picture of her in her fancy white dress. The pastor did some of his sermon in English and we wondered if the people didn't like that this made the sermon much longer in length. The people wear their finest clothes to church, which is amazing when you see how they live and how dirty it is everywhere. One little boy was wearing an all white suit and was adorable. I didn't get a picture of him. I did get a picture of three children sitting near me who stared at me the whole service. Every once in a while I would smile and wave at them. We must look pretty funny to these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment