Saturday, April 9, 2011

In the Middle: Between Haiti and Home

I cried when the car left MamaBaby Haiti this morning and I cried until I got to the bus station. I kept it under control and good thing I had my sunglasses on. I don't know what I was crying about. Saying goodbye to friends, old and new. Knowing their work was going on without me. The sights and sounds. Especially the people. The people of Haiti, for good or bad, mean something in this world.

I was so immersed in the work that I didn't take time to think about what I was feeling. I figured as I left Haiti it would take time to process. I would step back and think about the experience over time. Giving myself to Haiti wasn't just about waking up each morning and working. But what was it about?

On my last day of clinic one of our last patients turned to the interpreter and asked him to thank us for our patience and for helping her. And our last patient remembered me from the week before and smiled a warm smile at me, telling the interpreter that she remembered me. I didn't come to Haiti to be thanked, but having these woman respond to me in that way just warmed my heart.

I can say at this time, in the middle of Haiti and Home, is that I am thinking about the people. Each patient I saw, each baby I held and the impact their life had on mine. Each one suffering in some way, each one a dignified and deserving human being.

I hope I shared my love and compassion with them in spite of cultural and language barriers. Barriers that were and continue to be difficult to overcome. I can not understand all things about Haiti and it's people, but I am filled knowing that I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment