Saturday, April 9, 2011

Had a fun night last night. The young men put on their music and they were dancing and drinking. Some of us girls sat outside in the cooler air and had some good conversations. I celebrated with a Tampico. This is a sugary fruit punch drink that has some juice in it. Many, many Haitians drink it (along with other sugary drinks) and I spent every day in Haiti telling patients NOT to drink it. So it seemed fitting that I would at least give it a try. It is sweet and very good!

I had some very connecting moments with Susan and Nancy. We will forever be tied by our experiences in Haiti and I feel appreciative to have had this experience with them and built a friendship with them in this way. They are both strong, forward women and I sometimes feel that I have nothing to bring to the table when I am with them, but I know this is not true. We each have our gifts.

Haiti's goodbye gift to me has been a cooler night, a sunny morning and power on for over 24 hours straight. But Haiti has given me so much more! I haven't been able to begin to process. I have been here working and living and having fun, but struggling with what each day and each moment feels like. I am sure it will come with time.

I will miss so much about this place! I am surprised by how quickly I feel at home and how adapted I have become to the sights and sounds and smells.

Orevwa for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment