Friday, April 1, 2011

March 31st

I forgot to mention yesterday that I did my laundry!

OK, you’re thinking, Big Deal! Remember there was no power so first I had to get my water from the well. This is a physical job! Then I had to carry the water upstairs to the bathroom. I could have done the job outside, but I didn’t want to be in the sun. I had one tub of water with some laundry soap and one tub with clear water for rinsing. After soaking and scrubbing my clothes, wringing them out, rinsing and wringing again I hung them up to dry. I was exhausted. I had Susan take a picture of me because if anyone thought I was a princess before, this would prove them wrong!

Today I rode on a motorcycle between two Haitian’s, one was the driver and one was our interpreter. Each day I think I couldn’t possibly have more of an adventure, but I do! We were all working at an orphanage, building a fence, and we ran out of wire fencing. I volunteered some money to buy more fencing, which meant I had to go back to the house to get the money, which then landed me the role of going to buy the fencing. First we stopped off at a place to change my US dollars into gourds, then we went to three different building supply places before we found one open.

The orphanage was the most humbling of places. The children are so incredibly sweet, and obedient. When we arrived the children came out and lined up. We colored with them and played with them. They helped plant a garden and build the fence. When we left they sang a song to us.

They live in such meek conditions. Their home is a brick building with dirt floors. One volunteer said they were wearing the same clothes that they had on when she visited last week. There was not evidence of food anywhere. The kitchen was a small brick building outside the house. In one corner was a place to build a fire. There were several small, dirty pots. There was what looked like a charcoal pit of some sort. But no food. We brought rice and beans and decided to cook some up for them. We worry that the food will be sold.

The orphanage is surrounded by a brick wall, as are many of the buildings in Haiti. Climbing those walls were many older children, watching us as we worked and played at the orphanage. Most were wearing no shoes. One had a pair of Crocks with holes covering the soles. They were begging and I was asked for money, my sunglasses and my shoes. It is truly heartbreaking. I spent the evening contemplating their circumstances and wondering how much help we really bring these children. Does a little food and play and a garden make a difference? I want to hope that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment