Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finally, a few of my favorites.

Home sweet home for the last two weeks, under my mosquito net. I'm still covered in mosquito bites, though!


I had been wondering what this message on the peanut butter meant. Then after being at MamaBaby for a few days we heard the story. A volunteer that had been there earlier had gotten under the skin of some of the staff. One of the things he would do is eat HUGE amounts of peanut butter from the jar, without even asking if it was ok. (It was a community jar on the table...but still).



This isn't that great of a picture, but it does have a story to go with it. We were walking down the street, it is my first full day in Haiti and I am overwhelmed with the sights and sounds. There are people everywhere, traffic zooming by just inches from where we are walking, garbage and animals everywhere! Someone tells me to to turn around to take a picture of this truck full of people and just as I turn around the driver lays on his horn. I just about jumped out of my skin. Every car and motorcycle honks in Haiti, but this guy was trying to mess with me.



The school children dress in uniforms and many of them look incredibly crisp, clean and adorable!



If I could have taken this girl home with me I would! She lives at the orphanage and had such a sweet smile. She was wearing a white dress that was torn and dirty and I wanted to scoop her up and protect her. This is also one of my favorite pictures because of the contrast of the dirty white door, curtains and dress, and the lovely brown of her skin and love in her eyes. I heard that she had just arrived at the orphanage because her mom had died. I could never confirm that this was true, but I wondered. Her eyes did not seem to have that haunted look of a child that had been neglected for some time.



This little boy lives at the orphanage. I took this in the late afternoon and didn't think there was enough light, but I love it. He was coloring and looked up at me. The people don't usually smile when you take their picture. But if you show the children the picture you took they will usually smile or laugh.


These children I met at one of our village clinics. This was the one we did this week in Balan. These children were the exception, smiling and laughing FOR the picture. I held the camera high and their eyes followed. I love their bright eyes and smiling faces. I took many pictures of them, showing them the picture each time I did. It was fun.


I think this may be one of my favorite shots. This was also taken at the Balan village. I spotted these girls walking, I think they had their arms linked, and they were reading out load to each other. It would have made the best shot. By the time I got my camera out they had turned behind this fence, but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment