Friday, April 1, 2011

April 1st

Today was a pretty easy day! We had a morning of prenatals followed by a pretty good lunch. Rice of course, but today there was chicken and a wonderful salad made from the garden. It was so nice to eat fresh greens, I loved it! We thought we had a mama in labor this morning, but it was just braxton hicks contractions. We were scurrying about getting ready for prenatals and I was so excited that Suzanne would get in on a birth before she left tomorrow, but it didn't happen!

In the afternoon we went swimming. I wish I was able to post pictures and show you how lovely this place was. The other day when Susan and I had to go back to the airport to get her luggage our driver took us to this pool. He wanted to show us to drum up some business, I’m sure. It worked. For $5 each we were able to have the entire pool to ourselves. The others were happy to have a poolside bar as well. It was so refreshing and the first time since I’ve been in Haiti that I not only wasn’t sweating, but I actually felt cooled off. It was wonderful. I was dreading the one mile walk back home and Susan I were considering catching a motorcycle back. Then we heard that our driver from the other day gave us a pretty good deal-not only was he going to drive us home from the pool, he was going to wait for us to change our clothes and drive us into town for dinner, wait for us and drive us back home.

We went to a nice restaurant near the sea. It had a Caribbean feel to it and for a moment I forgot we were in Haiti. It was outdoor seating with music and dancing. There was a lovely breeze and it didn't feel hot at all. It must be a wealthier part of town because there were very well dressed people there. The food was pretty decent, but the best part was the ice in my coke (I had a real Coca Cola, in a bottle) and the ice cream for dessert. I could have sat out there much longer and was disappointed when we had to leave to go home. It was already later than we should have been out, it's just not safe to be out at night.


We came home to a dark house and sweltering house. I sprayed myself with deet and hung outside for awhile. I just couldn't take the heat! Power is on and I've been able to check my email. A good day! Looking forward to Nancy arriving tomorrow and seeing what the weekend brings to MamaBaby Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment