Monday, March 28, 2011

My First Clinic Day

We have been without power most of the day, so I've been unable to update anything. Now it is very late and I should be sleeping, but when the power came on I jumped on the computer. Since the power was off all day the house was very hot and stuffy. I tried to sleep outside, but the smell of smoke was too overwhelming. It is probably garbage burning. There is garbage everywhere! It is also very loud outside, but the stars are amazing!

Today was my first day of clinics and we saw pediatric patients. There is a large group of Naturopathic students here so they were in charge of patients. I was along for the ride, but was able to contribute on many cases. We saw a baby that is 7 months old and weighs 10 pounds. Dr. Sean wrote about her on his blog. She lost one pound in the last two weeks and we suspected her sister, who is caring for her, may be selling the formula the clinic gave her at her last two visits.

The irony to this was that this was our last patient before our lunch break, we were all exhausted from being hungry and hot. How dare us! I don't know how to explain how this feels, to know that you will eat soon and they will not.

I would love to tell you about every patient I saw today, but there is not time. One five year old boy saw us at 2pm and had only had a cup of coffee today. He had not eaten any food and typically eats one meal a day. He was a beautiful boy, falling asleep on his mothers lap. I'm sure he was starving. This is the typical child in Haiti, I believe.

We went for a walk in the evening, to the village where we will hold a clinic tomorrow. What we saw on the way is almost indescribable. On the street are cars, truck and motorcyles, whizzing by and honking! Sometimes it feels like you are inches from them. And then just inches or a couple feet on the other side are various animals; Just tonight I saw a pig, goats, horses, cows, dogs, and various sizes of chickens. There are people everywhere! They spend their days outside their homes (shacks, most of them). They stared at us white people walking along their streets, some children laughing and pointing and calling us "blanco's". The funniest were the children who yelled in english, "hey you blancos". Also funny was the couple on a motorcycle who stopped and asked us to take their picture. We thought they were going to ask us for money, but they didn't. And neither did anyone else. Different experience than being in the city of Cap Haitien.

We just waved and smiled and greeted with "bonswa", good evening, and everyone answered back. It was an experience like none other.

The heat here is incredible. Really, it's the humidity. With no power we can't flush the toilet or take a shower. I chose to take a bucket shower after the walk because my clothes were soaked with sweat. The cool water was shocking at first, but so refreshing.

The food has been wonderful. Various fresh fruits every morning with breakfast. But I must admit I'm already sick of rice and beans. My gut is crying out! But again, how can I complain with three meals a day and a suitcase full of healthy snacks.

Oh, so much more I want to share, but I must get some sleep. It is so late and I think I'm the only one still awake. Tomorrow is another day. And one of these days I hope I can get some pictures up here.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it there safely! I know someone who recently went to Haiti and was completely humbled by the entire experience. Things we get worked up about are completely insignificant to what the people in Haiti are dealing with. It's heartbreaking to hear the stories esp. the infant not receiving any nourishment and mostly likely her sister not either :( Thanks for all that you are doing there. . .

    ReplyDelete