Sunday, March 27, 2011

I have safely arrived!

My adventure from Santiago to Cap Haitien was interesting to say the least!

I took a taxi from my hotel to the bus station, but ended up at the wrong bus station. I had to figure out how to get to the right one and try not to panic. Thankful I gave myself some extra time. The ticket lady and I were not communicating well, but I was pretty sure she had told me there was a bus that would take me to the right station, she just didn't tell me when. After waiting a few minutes I started to panic. I called Mario and had him talk to her, just as the bus pulled up. A guy came and grabbed me and my stuff and loaded me on the bus.

When I arrived at the correct bus station I had no idea where to go. I went to the two obvious windows and neither woman could understand me at all. I called Mario again, she told him I needed to go around the corner but I was sure I didn't see anything over there. A man who spoke english, spanish and creole came to my aid. He took me around the corner and it was just a little door with barely a sign. I'm sure that in my panic I would never have seen it. I had left my luggage with a friend of the guy who helped me. How crazy am I? But I didn't know what else to do. I could not manage those three bags myself in that crowd!

I got my ticket and they kept my passport. Hmmm....I wasn't sure about this. But my new friend assured me this was the way it was. They would return my passport to me when we crossed the border. He then took me to a waiting room that was slightly air conditioned. I had 40 minutes to wait and prayed I would hear and understand when they called my bus. About 10 minutes before I decided not to chance it and just took my luggage out to where the buses arrived and departed. I stuck out like a sore thumb. Everyone knew I was confused and needed help. People were not really friendly, but there were a couple who made sure I was at the right bus.

As soon as I got on the bus I saw two Americans who looked happy to see me. They waved and one asked, " MamaBaby Haiti?" YES! I found two friends who were also going to the clinic. They were part of the group of ND's that I thought I was going to meet up with in Santiago, but they flew into Santo Domingo. The rest of the group was left behind because they had a lot of lost luggage they had to wait for.

The bus ride was comfortable. They served us lunch, which was quite good. The scenery was beautiful. When we crossed the border we stopped and took care of the immigration paperwork, etc. We stopped before the border and just after. I can not even tell you the magnitude of how different each side looks. As soon as we crossed into Haiti is was barren, dusty and poor looking. There was a river with hundreds of people washing clothes and bathing/playing in the water. From that point on it was something I have never experienced. I didn't want to close my eyes and nap anymore, afraid I would miss some part of the experience. My first moment's in Haiti I was filled with emotion, but I'm not sure what I was feeling. I just wanted to take it all in.

When we were driving through Cap Haitien is when things got really crazy. There were so many people on every street, so many cars that drive with no rules, people and children walking on the edge of the road and selling their wares. Busy and loud!

We arrived at the bus station and again I had this overwhelming feeling of gratitude that I was not alone at this moment. When we got our luggage I didn't even know which direction to go. We went through a small door where there was a "guard" with a rifle. The hallway we walked through was so small I could have never gotten my three bags, backpack, purse and self through there. Patrick and Kara helped me and we were all loaded down but got through the doors. Once outside we were immediately on the street full of people and cars. We decided to cross the street to a little park and wait there. At that time we were welcomed by children begging, and then an old woman who was persistent. I was told to not make eye contact and grateful for that little bit of wisdom. It did make it easier to deal with.

I wanted to be aware of everything I was feeling and experiencing. The smell was hot, smoke, dust, exhaust, food. The air was thick with heat and humidity and dust. It was loud, with people and honking and yelling. It was crowded everywhere you looked.

We waited about 30 minutes for our ride, which ended up being a tap tap, because the MamaBaby car had died. I rode in the front while everyone else rode in the back. I wish I'd been in the back, too. In the front you see what's going on and it's not pretty. I was thinking "I could easlily die in this little truck". I think seeing things from behind would have been easier. Patrick said he thinks if he'd been in the front he would have thrown up! I was a little concerned when someone opened my door and tried to get in when we stopped for a moment. But there is not a lot of stopping, just going and honking and going, no matter who or what is in your way.

As we pulled in front of MamaBaby the little tap tap high centered itself on a pothole. But we had made it!

The house is comfortable, The food is wonderful and I'm getting to know the friendly people. I felt a lot of culture shock last night. I was exhausted but too tired and stimulated to sleep. The heat reminded me of being a little girl sleeping in my upstairs bedroom, hot and stuffy.

But this morning is a beautiful day and who knows what's in store.

5 comments:

  1. OMG Kelli, what a trip. You paint a harrowing picture so now I know why everyone asks if I'm scared! I kind of have to laugh because I known this is the first time out of the country and this is quite the most extreme initiation into international travel one could start with. Anyway, you got there and I will, too, somehow. Do you need me to get something for you so you can post photos? I leave Tuesday but today, Sunday I can get something from Mario if you want. Love your courage! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Those people are so blessed to have you Kelli! I know you'll do great things and I'm excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get your passport back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been freaked out about them taking my passport!!
    - Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 I'm so glad you made it, the parts you've worried so much about are over! You're there! Thinking of you and Haiti this morning. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete