Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Letter to my Friends

Dear Friends & Family,

As you know, on January 12, 2010, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked southern Haiti. Millions of Haitians were hurt and homeless and struggling to survive. This catastrophe has hit people already living in a country ranked by the United Nations as the poorest nation in the Western hemisphere. The lack of skilled obstetrical workers makes Haiti the most dangerous place in the Western hemisphere to have a baby. According to the World Health Organization statistics, 670 women die for every 100,000 births. This rate is 60 times higher than in the US.

Since hearing about this disaster, I have felt compelled to travel to Haiti and volunteer my midwifery skills to the women, children and families who are suffering. Over the last year several of my friends have traveled to Haiti to donate their time, money and skills. Several of these friends were so inspired by their work in Haiti that they have returned many times and built a beautiful birth center in Cap Hatien, Haiti. I invite you to look at their website and see the work they are doing and the services they are providing to the people of Haiti. (www.mamababyhaiti.org)

There are many organizations doing good work in Haiti. I have chosen to work with Mama Baby Haiti at this time because I know the people that have created this organization. I trust them and believe in their purpose. I know them to be people of integrity and great spiritual strength. I will be leaving for Haiti around March 25th and staying for about two weeks.

It is requested that volunteers bring as many supplies as they can to support the efforts in Haiti, as well as pay their own travel fees to and from Haiti. It is with this in mind that I humbly ask for your support. I am seeking cash donations to buy the necessary supplies that are needed to run the clinic in Haiti.

No donation is too small. Every dollar will be greatly appreciated and judiciously used! Donations can be mailed to me or accepted via my paypal account (kelli@fullbloommidwifery.com). For those preferring to donate goods please email me and I will get you the list when I receive it.

I have set up a blog to share my experiences. Please check it for updates as I prepare to leave. While in Haiti I hope to post photographs and experiences. I appreciate your support. Please pray for the people of Haiti. Please pray for my safe travels and for my family, who are graciously supporting my desire to do this.

With Peace and Love,

Kelli McIntosh

15203 Se Linden Ln.

Milwaukie, Oregon 97267

503-652-0645

www.kellimidwife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment